How to Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows?
There is a piece of good news that Apple has introduced its operating system called macOS Big Sur. On 22nd June 2020. at WWDC they have proudly announced the new major operating system full of features and functionalities. The name of the new operating system which is macOS Big Sur is based on a coastline in central California, south of the San Francisco Bay Area. The macOS Big Sur has a completely unique design and looks than the previous operating system of Hackintosh. However, we have a pretty ability to install macOS Big Sur on Mac even in the developer beta version. It really doesn’t matter which operating system you are using then you can test and use macOS Big Sur on your system.
If you are a Mac user then you can install macOS Big Sur from the App Store without any problem. You can experience all of its features and improvements. Fortunately, this time Apple really work hard on macOS Big Sur in order to make it more and more proper for the users. Furthermore, macOS Big Sur has many outstanding and splendid features such as updates in Safari which will work 50% faster when you browse for something, iOS control center, improvements in Maps, updates on message app, Widgit in the home screen, Notification center in macOS Big Sur, and many more features which you will enjoy it.
They have updated all the gadgets of Apple on 22nd June 2020. We have a major release on iOS 14, iPadOS 14, WatchOS 7, and many more. There are tons of features in iOS 14 which looks very interesting to use, According to the Technology, macOS Big Sur is pretty similar to iOS 14. Therefore, if you want to enjoy it on your Mac then we have an in-depth guide on How to Install macOS Big Sur Developer Beta 1 on Mac.
If you are windows or Linux users and want to experience the macOS Big Sur on your system then you are in the exact place. It is somehow difficult to directly install macOS Big Sur on Physical computer and it will waste the time then sometimes it won’t work. For the purpose of this article, we are going to use VirtualBox. In VirtualBox, you can install different kinds of operating system free of cost. However, it is similar to your physical computer which needs an ISO image to install any operating system. The installation procedure is not much difficult but it is somehow lengthy. Take a cup of coffee and start following the instructions step by step.
Macs which is Compatible with macOS Big Sur
- 2015 and later MacBook
- 2013 and later MacBook Air
- Late 2013 and later MacBook Pro
- 2014 and later iMac
- 2017 and later iMac Pro
- 2014 and later Mac mini
- 2013 and later Mac Pro
According to the rumors, the Mac which is listed down below will not be upgraded from the lower version to macOS Big Sur.
- 2012 and Early 2013 MacBook Pro
- MacBook Air 2012
- 2012 and 2013 iMac
- 2012 Mac mini
Steps to Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows PC
The steps are very easy to go for. But first, you have to navigate towards the required file which you will need while installing. Before we get started, you need to make sure that your PC can support Virtualization Technology or not. Otherwise, you won’t be able to install macOS Big Sur. Make sure to turn on from BIOS of your system so that you should install virtualization software such as VMware and VirtualBox on your PC. Your system must have a 640-Bit operating system with 4GB Ram or more to have better performance.
Step #1. Download Required File to Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows PC
- VirtualBox Latest Version (Download)
- Download macOS Big Sur VMDK File
- VirtualBox Code for macOS Big Sur (Download)
- VirtualBox Extension Pack (Download)
Step #2. Install VirtualBox on Windows 10 PC
From the above link, you have to download the latest version of VirtualBox. Wait for the downloading process and be patient. Once you have successfully downloaded VirtualBox on your PC then head over toward below instruction and get VirtualBox installed on your PC.
- Double-click on the VirtualBox to launch.
- On the welcome window, click on the Next.
- In order to go one step forward of installation, simply click on Next.
- After that, the setup will be pretty ready for installation, make sure to click on Install.
- When the Oracle VirtualBox is a trusted application for Windows opens, you have to click Install.
- The installation process will be started, you have to wait and be patient.
- When the installation process is finished, click Finish.
Step #3. Install VirtualBox Extension
VirtualBox Extension is a small and handy tool that solves almost all problems of VirtualBox which you face while using any operating system on it. Most of the time while installing macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox the mouse and keyboard get stuck which is a very big problem. In order to fix them in a short time, you have to install the VirtualBox Extension properly after you installed VirtualBox. Get the VirtualBox Extension Pack from the Required File section.
1. Once you installed VirtualBox Extension on your PC, make sure to right-click on it and click Open.
2. The VirtualBox will be opened with a dialogue box, on the Welcome screen you have to click on the install.
3. The terms & condition screen will be opened, scroll down till the end then you will see I agree button click on that.
4. Now it till take some seconds to be installed, once it is done then click Ok.
Step #4. Create a New Virtual Machine for macOS Big Sur
Creating a new virtual machine is pretty simple, it is the same when you create for Windows and Linux. Every operating system needs an ISO image to install. Therefore, if you have downloaded the macOS Big Sur ISO image from the above link then nothing to worry about. In order to create a new machine for macOS Big Sur then you have to come through the below instruction so that you should not face any problem.
1. Open the VirtualBox, you have to click the New button.
2. On the Welcome screen, you have to click on the Expert Mode.
3. Give a name to your virtual machine, select a folder for installation, the type should be Mac OS X, version should be Mac OS X (64-Bit). From the below, you have to select the second option which is Create a virtual hard disk now and finally click on Create.
4. Increase the memory size of up to 100GB or more than that to have a better performance. From the Hard disk file type section, you have to select VHD (Virtual Hard Disk), from the right side you have to select Dynamically allocated and click Create.
Step #5. Customize Virtual Machine Settings
For the better performance in macOS Big Sur, you have to customize settings of virtual machines that you have created. Follow the instruction down below.
1. Select the Virtual machine and click on the Settings. When the Setting opened, from the right pane make sure to select System. There you have to uncheck the Floppy and move to the Processor tab, increase the number of Processor up to 2GB or more than that for better performance.
2. Head over towards the Display menu from the right side and make sure to increase the Video Memory.
3. Now, it is time to add the macOS Big Sur ISO file to the virtual machine, navigate to the Storage menu, and select Empty. Then click on the DVD icon and choose your macOS Big Sur ISO File which you have downloaded.
4. Your macOS Big Sur ISO file should on the top and disk must in down. If your disk is on the top then it won’t boot up macOS Big Sur. You have to change the SATA port number to 0.
Step #6. Run VirtualBox Code in Command Prompt
When you have created a new virtual machine and customized it properly. It is time to run some VirtualBox Code in Command Prompt. It will help and allow the VirtualBox in order to install macOS Big Sur on it.
Navigate to the Required files section above and make sure to download VirtualBox from there. And you have to remember the name of your virtual machine because it will be needed.
Once it is downloaded you have to open the code with Notepad or other text editor software. Now you have to replace the VM Name with the name of your virtual machine. You can use the Replace tool to do it.
So, you have to quit the VirtualBox before running the VirtualBox code. If you forget to close it then keep in mind you can’t process the installation steps.
When you have replaced the VM Name with your virtual machine. You have to open the CMD (Command Prompt) by search on the search menu and run as an administrator. Once it opens, you have to copy and paste the code line by line to Command Prompt.
Step #7. Start the Virtual Machine
1. Finally, you have to start the virtual machine.
2. Once the virtual machine started the virtual machine then you will see some code running in the background. You have to wait until the Apple logo pops up.
3. You have to select your favorite Language and click on Continue.
4. In the boot recovery, make sure to select Disk Utility and click Continue.
5. Select your main hard disk and click on the Erase button. You have to check the size of the disk and then erase, don’t do the wrong virtual hard disk.
6. After that name your virtual hard disk which you are going to erase. I will write the name macOS Big Sur when you typed it then click on the Erase button.
7. Close the Disk Utility.
8. Now you have to select the Install macOS and click Continue.
9. Click on Continue.
10. Be agree to terms and conditions.
11. Now you have to select the installation disk and click Continue. The installation will be started which will take some time so be patient.
Step #8. Clean Installation of macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox
- When the installation process is finished, now you can have the installation steps of macOS Big Sur.
- On the welcome screen, choose your country and click Continue.
- Select a Keyboard layout and click Continue.
- You can also enable the Accessibility feature on macOS Big Sur. If you don’t want to set up right now you have to click on the Not Now button in order to skip that.
- Agree to Terms & Privacy and click Continue.
- You can also transfer data fro Mac and Windows PC. If you don’t want to transfer your data then click on the Not now option to go one step ahead.
- Click on the Set up later and don’t sign in because you sign in one the installation is completed.
- Click on the Agree to the terms and conditions and click Continue.
- Now you have to enter your Full Name, Account Name, Password, and Hint then clicks on the Continue.
- On the Express set up window, simply click Continue because you can customize later.
- On the Analytics windows, you have to click Continue.
- After that, you can select your look and click Continue. You can choose a dark mode if you wish to use.
- Wait for some seconds and you will get macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox.
Fix macOS Big Sur Screen Resolution on VirtualBox
When you completely install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox by following the above steps. Then you will notice that your screen resolution will look small which is embarrassing. You can’t expand to a large screen, in order to fix the screen resolution on VirtualBox. Therefore, you have to click on the link down below and get the guide to fix macOS Big Sur screen resolution.
In this article, I have talked in-depth about How To Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows PC. Now you can do whatever you want on macOS Big Sur. If you find any problem then don’t hesitate to leave comments in the comment section down below. I will be happy to read your beautiful feedback and suggestion about macOS Big Sur. Install macOS Big Sur on VirtualBox on Windows PC
I have followed these instructions to the letter and it always gets stuck on “Less than a minute remaining…” It stays there for HOURS and never stops until I shut it down. I have even deleted my VM and created a new one from scratch following the instructions exactly, just to be safe. I’m using an Intel Core i5 8th Gen Lenovo ideapad330S. The only thing I can think is – did I do the CMD part wrong? Each time I entered a command, it didn’t give a confirmation, but moved on to the next line with no error. Is it possible I’m entering the commands wrong? I have no idea where to begin. Thank you so much.
I have followed these instructions to the letter and it always gets stuck on “Less than a minute remaining…” It stays there for HOURS and never stops until I shut it down. I have even deleted my VM and created a new one from scratch following the instructions exactly, just to be safe. I’m using an Intel Core i5 8th Gen Lenovo ideapad330S. The only thing I can think is – did I do the CMD part wrong? Each time I entered a command, it didn’t give a confirmation, but moved on to the next line with no error. Is it possible I’m entering the commands wrong? I have no idea where to begin. Thank you.
I did all the instructions but I’m stuck on UEFI interactive shell
The download link for the virtual code is broken. can you upload it again?
Indeed, the download link for the virtual code is broken
Can you upload it again, please?
I found the commands elsewere on the Internet. Here is the commands needed; – remember to exchange the
“Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” with the name of your virtual machine!
cd “C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\”
VBoxManage.exe modifyvm “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” –cpuidset 00000001 000106e5 00100800 0098e3fd bfebfbff
VBoxManage setextradata “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct” “iMac11,3”
VBoxManage setextradata “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion” “1.0”
VBoxManage setextradata “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” “VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiBoardProduct” “Iloveapple”
VBoxManage setextradata “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/DeviceKey” “ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc”
VBoxManage setextradata “Type Your Virtual Machine Name Here” “VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC” 1
I get stuck where I am supposed to “Choos Startup Disk” part.
Could you please be kind enough to explain in detail where/how that is supposed to happen?
Thanks in Advance,
Hi, please the commands properly and try again.